Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Fun

So I had a real adult, grown-up New Year's Eve last night. Fun times with fun friends at grown-up places with no children in sight. Doesn't happen often. We had a great meal at the Dublin Pub with an awesome Irish band, and then to Wiley's Comedy Club. It was fun and a good time, but here are my take aways:

* The owner of the Comedy Club has been at this for 30 years. But why does there have to be 15 "f" words in a three-minute segment? Does this make you funnier? No.

* One does not have to make belittling Christian jokes to be funny either -- they weren't really horrid, but subtly disrespectful enough to stab my heart a few times. Made me feel sorry for everyone in the room laughing because it meant they don't have a real relationship with Abba Father.

* At one point, I felt disconnected from the entire place and just looked around as though I were not part of the group. I saw such empty hollow laughter, and people working hard to find happiness. I felt immediately blessed that I could come and have a fun change of pace but I don't NEED to fill my life with these events to be happy.

I really did have a good time, and I was blessed to be with Jon and friends, but I think the blessings came more from knowing that this lifestyle is not needed to know the joy of being a servant in Christ. My friend Julie Loudenback shared a blog on FB about her family's fun New Years Eve -- enjoying games and junk food and laughter together. Frankly, this is what it should be about. New Year's is actually more fun with children around. I am starting to miss the little ones. Must almost be time to go back to school again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings