Saturday, October 3, 2015

Warrior Wonderings

I wonder about what it means to have God as my buckler.  I looked up the meaning of buckler, and it is not synonymous with shield because it is really too small to be protection from a sword.  Instead, the buckler is used as a way to deflect punches and sort of a distraction so that the other hand can have a stronger offense.  In other words, instead of the buckler being an instrument of defense, it is an aid to the offense.  Psalm 18:30 says, “As for God, His way is perfect:  the word of the Lord is tried:  He is a buckler to all that trust in Him.”  This says the word of the Lord and then the next sentence starts with “He”.  We know from John, Chapter 1 that Jesus is the Word.  So this means that Jesus is a buckler to all that trust Him.    And since the buckler was used to deflect punches and blows, I am ever grateful that Jesus is my buckler.  He knows when the blows are coming before. I do. 

So I looked up this word “buckler” and I found in 2 Samuel 22:31 almost the same verse!  How about that!  I love this passage starting in verse 30:

“For by thee I have run through a troop:  by my God have I leaped over a wall.  As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is tried:  he is a buckler to all them that trust in him.  For who is God save the Lord?  And who is a rock save our God?  God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.  He maketh my feet like hinds’ feet:  and setteth me upon my high places.”

Then back in Psalm 18:2 it says, “ The Lord is my Rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler and the horn of my salvation and my high tower.”

Seems like we need to remember that we need the whole armour.  In Ephesians 6:16, it says:  “Above all, taking the shield of faith wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.”  Notice the words “Above All”.  This buckler is what gives strength to the opposition – when it is time to fight, our faith is our buckler.  Thank goodness that is the Faith of Jesus Christ, because if it had to be on my own source of faith, I would be knocked out in the first round.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings