Saturday, February 13, 2016

Uncle Dave

            My Uncle Dave died. He was married to my Dad’s baby sister, the youngest of the eight in their family. Uncle Dave was sweet and kind and he always made me feel valued and loved. I didn’t stay in touch with my Uncle Dave or my Aunt Bevi. I actually haven’t seen them for fifteen years. It isn’t because we didn’t love one another or that there were relationship barriers between.  Nothing except distance. I feel sad that I didn’t even know Uncle Dave had been sick. He was  97 years old, so it shouldn’t be surprising to me. I just wonder how families drift apart. How did I get so disconnected from people that have meant so much to me?

            Every day, I think that I am going to do a better job of letting those around know how important they are to me. Yet, I have allowed fifteen years to slide by and I never even checked to see how my Dad’s sister and her family were doing. I stay in touch with some of my cousins through social media, but it is not the same. Time with family should be valued. Wonder why it takes a death to feel this lesson?


            Rest in Peace, Uncle Dave. You were one of the sweetest guys I have ever known. Sending hugs and prayers to my Aunt Bevi. They lost a child to cancer just two years ago. He was only a few years older than me. Life is precious. Stay connected to family. It matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings