Wednesday, January 25, 2017

It's All About Relationship

I was reading my John Maxwell Bible this morning, and a piece on leadership smacked me in the face. Maxwell described leadership in three ways. He said that leadership from a distance could, if done effectively, produce an amount of influence.  Leadership up close can create a state where followers want to emulate the leader. However, leadership through relationship creates an impact, in other words, growth and positive change happen through building trusting relationships.

This is such a valuable framework for all leaders to understand. If we want to see positive changes take place, we simply must invest time to know those we lead. When relationships are formed, people are willing to stand in the gap. They are more willing to overlook shortcomings. They are more likely to speak words of support.

I have witnessed leadership from all three views. I have personally experienced the value of building relationship. I know what it means to have others help fight my battles out of respect and belief in my core values. I also have witnessed leadership from a distance where no effort is made to connect with those within the organization. Then when there are trials facing the leader, few are willing to stand in defense or be supportive. Greater division ensues, and the “us” vs. “them” becomes magnified.


It is all about relationship. Current research tells us that nothing is more important. It makes me wonder why some in leadership positions cannot understand how the simple act of connecting with others will reap mountains of benefits. Relationship building is the greatest win-win and of course, having others who really care and value one’s leadership is a treasure beyond measure bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings