Monday, August 6, 2018

Assignment


Our county hosted Revive Ohio last month. Through this ministry, I have been assigned to disciple a woman who lives in a nursing home. I’m not much of a caretaker for the infirm, so it’s been a bit of stretch for me.

This sweet woman is actually four years younger than I am. She’s totally stuck in grief with the loss of her husband four years ago. She has a son who is a drug addict and stole her Social Security checks until she became a resident in the nursing home. When he could no longer steal her money, he left and hasn’t had the decency to even call her.

Besides these tragic losses in her life, my disciple is stuck in helplessness. She needs reminded to use the restroom and needs assistance for even the very basic self-care things.

When I’m able to pull some things from her, I notice that she has a heart for the Lord, and she actually knows quite a bit of scripture.

So, I’m not really discipling as much as walking along side.

I don’t have much stamina though.

Last week, I lasted a mere 20 minutes.  This week, I made it to 35 minutes.

The lessons in our book are very short, and we fly through them because she is really not a new believer.

Since I started visiting her, I’ve encouraged her to meet with other believers. She has been praying with the lady across the hall, and today we talked about some scripture reading together too.

I have no idea if she looks forward to my visits or not.

I feel like I’m a bolt of lightning.

I blast in there, go through a lesson, read some scripture and pray, and then we’re done.

Trying to encourage her to look for joy has been an on-going theme.

I’m really not sure if I’m making a difference in her life at all, but I’m going through the curriculum as I promised I would.

Waiting to see where Papa will take us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings