Monday, December 24, 2012

Where Your Treasure is, There Will Your Heart Be Also


“But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt and where thieves do not break through nor steal:  for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”  Matthew 6:20-21


I need to remember that my treasures for Christmas Eve are not – the 10 kinds of Christmas cookies that I made.  They are not a perfect Christmas Eve meal with shrimp cocktail and steak.  They are not the presents, the candles, the decorations or anything that I do for this night.  I COULD sulk and whine about how this Christmas Eve was ruined –

Starting yesterday with, Jon dropping his phone in water, and not being able to reach him.  Then, he emailed me to tell me that he started vomiting in the night and all morning today.  Stood in line at the Post Office for 25 minutes – with only 4 people ahead of me.  Mailing Christmas Cookies (that of course will be late) to Nathan who won’t be home for the second year in a row for Christmas.  I tried to do Jon’s banking for him, and they wouldn’t let me take his rent money out.  I came home to get my checkbook, and as I was putting his steak into the freezer since he wouldn’t be eating it tonight, the refrigerator door fell completely off.  Sam tried to help and was having trouble figuring it out – some cross words flying.  I went to the garage to get a new roll of paper towels and stepped backwards onto the stroller wheel, causing me to fall down backwards on my tailbone.  Went to try and pay Jon’s rent, and slipped on some ice, only to find out the place was closed.  My back hurt, my plans ruined….

So, I had a choice.  I could feel bad that my plans were ruined for my favorite night of the year or……

I could lay my treasures in heaven, and remember that Satan cannot rob me of my peace unless I let him. 

As we celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior, remember that he told us this –

“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you; not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”  John 14:27

All of that “stuff” that happened today – just little stuff really – like moths and rust.  But it becomes a mountain of pain and the absence of peace if we forget that our treasures are in heaven.  I choose to LET the peace of God rule in my heart (Colossians 3:15), and NOT let the moths and rust steal away my joy of this blessed night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings