Sunday, March 30, 2014

Artios

Today, I was thinking back about raising my son for five years without his father.  I wondered how in the world I ever managed to accomplish things – like get him through Driver’s Ed, girlfriends, and college visits.  When I think about doing these things, it feels overwhelming to me, even though I already actually did them.  I then realized that I was not really on my own.

 The word “artios” came to mind.  This Greek word is really only used one time in the entire New Testament.  It is translated “perfect” in 2 Timothy 3:17 and it is used to describe the purpose of the verse preceding – “All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction (which is) instruction in righteousness.” 2 Timothy 3:16.

Then verse 17 says: “That the man of God may be perfect (artios), throughly equipped (Exartizo) unto all good works.”

This word artios is used to describe a ship that is ready to set sail – everything is ready and on-board for the voyage.  The other way the word artios is used is in describing the perfect fit of the ball and socket joint in the hip.  If there is the slightest misalignment in that joint the person suffers the most excruciating pain.  The fit has to be absolutely perfect for the hip to work properly.  This is the word “artios” (Wierwille, 1971, p. 90).

The word “throughly” is not the word thoroughly (which auto-correct keeps making me retype!).  Throughly is an inside job where thoroughly is an outside job.  For instance – one could wash their hands thoroughly, but one cannot wash hands throughly -- meaning both outside and inside (Wierwille, 1971, p. 91)

So the purpose of scripture is to make us perfect and throughly equipped  for good works.  Like the ship that is completely through and throughly furnished for a long voyage, putting the scripture into our hearts and minds prepares us for what life throws at us -- like a husband dying and leaving a teenaged son to raise alone.  I know that I wasn’t able on my own to get through all these things and many others since.  As I make a decision every day to put God’s Word first in my heart and mind and to stay connected and abiding in the true Vine of Christ, I realize that I have gotten through those things that  now seem overwhelming and nearly impossible to even think about.  Artios.  Perfect.  Exartizo – equipped!



Wierwille, V.P. (1971).  Power for abundant living.  New Knoxville, Ohio:  American

Christian Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings