Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Sounds of the Night and of the Day

This morning as I got ready to take my early morning jaunt, I reached for my Nano and God (LOUDLY) said, “Leave it!”  Of course, (because as my Mom always said that I “would argue with God”), I said, “Really?”  He again just said, “Leave it.”

So, even though I had just charged it up, I longingly put it back on the china hutch, and went out into the morning without my usual tunes to keep me company.

Several blocks from my house, I heard the lonely cry of an owl.  I stopped and listened intently for a bit and saw it fly from a rooftop to a tree, still screeching its eerie and desperate call.  It was still dark out, and this screeching crashed into the night with such fervor and echo.  The sound was so deeply mournful and with such an imploring reach.  I found myself wishing for the daylight so the owl could finally rest.  It made me think of the verse in Psalms 30:5b – “weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.”

Within a few more blocks the sun was just beginning rise (behind the clouds this morning, however) and the daylight was breaking with the sounds of happy birds chirping.  I am not an expert in bird sounds by any means, but I sure can discern the difference between the lonely, desperate-sounding screech of the night owl and the joyful songs of the day birds.  And then, I heard the morning doves.  

They sing their sad songs when rain is coming.  Their song is melancholy, but it doesn’t split the stillness as the owl’s screech.  The morning dove is a gentle reminder that sadness can still be a part of the day as well, but our joy comes from the Lord.  I wanted to read the rest of the passage in Psalms after this morning’s lessons:

“O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.  O Lord, you brought me up from the grave; you spared me from going down into the pit.  Sing to the Lord, you saints of his; praise his holy name.  For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night but rejoicing comes in the morning.  When I felt secure, I said, ‘I will never be shaken.’ O Lord, when you favored me, you made my mountain stand firm; but when you hid your face, I was dismayed. To you, O Lord I called; to the Lord I cried for mercy; What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit?  Will the dust praise you?  Will it proclaim your faithfulness? Hear O Lord, and be merciful to me; O Lord be my help.’  You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart might sing to you and not be silent.  O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever.”  Psalm 30:2-12


Thank you, Lord for teaching me the joy of spending the morning with You.  Weeping may be in the night (or even some in the day) but hope springs forth as we place our thoughts on You.  Praising You Lord is why we are here.  Thankful for yet another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings