Monday, December 11, 2017

Triangle Toast and Perspective

            This morning, I was fixing my usual breakfast of eggs and Ezekiel bread toast. I put honey and cinnamon on my toast as I always do, but this morning, I cut the toast diagonally. I felt an amazing sense of delight as I was about to eat “triangle toast” this morning. I was so excited, and couldn’t wait to begin. Now, I normally read my devotional or some scripture while I eat, and I got so engrossed in comparing the Message version of 2Corinthians 4:2 with the NIV, that I didn’t even think about the breakfast going into my mouth (it really is a cool passage, btw).  Before I knew it, the triangle toast was eaten, and I had forgotten to even notice the difference.

            Now, this may seem like a very trivial thing to most, but I really felt the Holy  Spirit teaching me about reframing situations.  See, I was planning on experiencing my everyday breakfast with new eyes, and that actually made me feel very happy. I have been learning to rejoice in the smallest of things, and okay, I do admit this one is rather miniscule. But, my plans to see the same breakfast with a different lens was easily forgotten when I lost my focus. And, if we aren't intentional, we can lose our focus doing really good things!

            This is an important lesson to remember.

            As we renew our minds to view things through Jesus-eyes, we can’t forget to stay abiding in the vine. The second we take our focus off of Him, we quickly go right back to the same, ole-same ole.  I don’t know about you, but that is definitely a place I do not want to be!

            Renewing our minds is a fully intentional act that must be completely embraced. We can’t say we are renewing our minds while keeping a foot back into the way it always was.

            I am so grateful that my sin-nature was nailed to the cross. Yet, when we do not intentionally choose to view things in the Spirit, that old-man nature creeps right back into our thoughts once again. We must continually remind ourselves who we are. When we take our sight off of the prize of the high calling, the enemy stirs up the old us, making us think we are still there. 

            That’s a lie from the father of lies.


            We aren’t still there. We are already seated in the Heavenlies with Jesus at the right hand of God. We are the image-bearer of our Creator.  We should delight in the Presence throughout our day, but if we forget to notice, well then, triangle toast is just toast afterall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings