Thursday, August 2, 2012

Second Chances

I was dreading this meeting.  The newly elected leader had absolutely no understanding of the organization she was now in charge of.  She had never even been to a meeting nor served in any capacity, yet now, here she was – fully in charge.  My first encounter with her was not at all pleasant, and our ensuing contacts continued as such.   When I had gently suggested that she solicit some help from her predecessors, she bluntly informed me that she knew what to do.  She continually made demands of me, and did not really understand her role, nor mine.   I was truly disliking her.

Then, surprise!  The meeting was great.  She was facilitative and not autocratic as I had feared.  She did not demand, she asked for feedback and suggestions.  She genuinely asked for input, and admitted she was new and would need our support.  I settled back with an incredible sigh of relief.  The meeting went more than an hour longer than I had anticipated, and I didn’t care at all.

My lesson of the day?  Do not lock people into little boxes of “this is how you are.”  I pegged this lady as arrogant, demanding, and short-sighted.  Yet today she showed me she was collaborative, enthusiastic, friendly, and reasonable.  Everyone deserves another chance to show their true character.  While I didn’t plan to do so, I am very happy that I have a new lens for viewing this person.  I wonder how many others I have led to believe things about me that are not really who I am?  Giving a second or even a third chance to see the heart of others is important.  I will be working on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings