Thursday, August 2, 2012

Seekers of God

Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Today, I was pondering what it means to seek God’s heart.  So I ventured into some scriptures and found more there than I could really even begin to assimilate.  For example,   I Chronicles 22:19 says, “Now devote your heart and soul to seeking the LORD your God.”   Psalm 14: 2 says, “The LORD looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.”   Psalm 63:1 says, “You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.”

Hebrews 11:6 – “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”

 And the Message version of Hebrews 11:6  is even better -- “It's impossible to please God apart from faith. And why? Because anyone who wants to approach God must believe both that he exists and that he cares enough to respond to those who seek him.”

So as I am pondering what it means to be a seeker of God, I realize that He sought me as well.  I recall many times over my life when I was venturing into troubled waters, and I would hear His still small voice urging me to come to Him instead.

I think about the many games of Hide and Seek that I played as a child.  What made that game so much fun was not just the hiding but also the act of being found.  While we didn’t want to be found first (meaning that you had to be “it” next round), but waiting for the current person who was “it” to find out my new and clever hiding place was clearly joyous.   The element of surprise was important, but that moment of being discovered was actually filled with different and sometimes rather conflicting emotions all at the same time – yet connecting us together in the game we were playing.  It was the act of seeking and being found that made us want to play over and over again.

God has called us to seek Him.  Psalm 24:6 says, “Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, God of Jacob.”

I am not really sure that I will fully understand what it means to be a seeker of God, but remembering that God was “it” first – He sought me and then he bought me with the blood of Christ and now it is my turn to seek Him.  I know I am to learn His ways and to do my best to become like Him to the best of my abilities.  As I seek Him, I am filled with wonder and awe and it causes me to want to seek Him more.

He knows all of my hiding places.  He knows all of my shortcomings and my flaws.  He knows all the parts of me that I am not proud of and he knows my thoughts, desires and dreams.  But for now, it is my turn to be “it” and to seek Him and to discover His secret places. As I seek after God’s heart, I am filled to overflowing, and I find it something that I want to do over and over again – just like before—only better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings