Monday, September 12, 2016

Called to Discomfort

 I like my comfort zone. I think we all do. I have been noticing, however, that Jesus has called us to do some rather uncomfortable things.  Here are a few to ponder:

·      Ask – we are told to ask for what is on our hearts, yet that is not always easy to do.  How comfortable is it to ask for a raise, ask a spouse for permission to splurge on a new outfit or tool? There is often some level of uncertainty when we make ourselves vulnerable enough to ask

·      Seek – We are told to look for our purpose and for opportunities to be Jesus for others.  I don’t know about you, but I am not always at peace when I am looking for something!

·      Knock – you know that feeling when you knock on someone’s door, and you are hoping and praying they aren’t wrapped in a towel, and that they are at least acting happy to see you at their doorstep? Some level of discomfort here too!

·      Go – Jesus told his disciples to go out into the world.  That is a rather scary thing to do sometimes. While new journeys can be exciting, there may also be an underlying fear of the unknown. We are called to simply go and the directions are often very sketchy.


Here are some more: agree with your adversary quickly; love your enemies; take no thought for your life; take no thought for tomorrow; follow; preach; heal; cleanse; raise; cast out; take heed; take my yoke; beware; forgive; love… and I haven’t left the book of Matthew yet.

I think you get my point. All of the things Jesus told His followers to do seemed to have this common theme—step out of the comfortable.

In I Peter we are told that we are blessed when we share in the sufferings of Jesus. This is a bit beyond being uncomfortable. I mean, I can be uncomfortable when I’m sweating in the heat of summer, but that is not the same thing as suffering.  I spend a lot of time making sure I have what I need to feel comfy. I pay my gas and electric bills on time so I always have heat and air conditioning. I like hot showers and plenty of ice for my water and covers for my bed. These are things I may often take for granted, but it’s because I don’t want to be uncomfortable. Yet here is Jesus telling me to do all of these things that are outside of my comfort zone. And He takes it further when he talks about partaking in the sufferings of Jesus. There is a big difference between being too hot or cold and being beaten beyond recognition and then crucified!


I know what is on that other side. I have tasted those blessings before, but ooh—it is not easy to push beyond the cozy walls we have created. It is always worth it when we do, but I am not surprised at the company I have when I choose comfort instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings