Friday, September 30, 2016

Save That Bird

            One night, I had a dream that was a bit unsettling. One reason that it was unsettling was because I had the exact same dream three times.  In my dream, I saw a large bird falling down a mountain and then taking a nose-dive to the ground. I kept screaming, “Someone needs to help that bird!” And each time I heard a deep and loud voice answer me with, “YOU need to help that bird!”  The voice was so penetrating, that I startled awake.  I drifted back to sleep and the same sequence played out again, and then a third time. When I awoke the next day, I couldn’t shake the deep resonance of this dream.
            Two days later, it was Sunday, and our pastor stopped his sermon that morning saying that he needed to share a vivid dream that he’d had during the past week. He told about a large eagle that was flying in an airplane hangar and it took a nose-dive to the ground, causing its beak to become broken and bloody. The pastor said that in his dream, he and his wife were watching and somehow he knew he was supposed to do something to help that eagle. As soon as he said the word “eagle” I realized that the bird in my dream was an eagle as well. I got goose bumps thinking about how strange it was that the pastor and I had almost the same dream.
            While walking out of church that morning, the local VFW across the street displayed a new banner. The picture on the banner was an eagle with Uncle Sam pointing right at our church.  Once again, I realized that something big must be on the brink since both my pastor and I had such startling and similar dreams.
            My husband, Jon is a life purpose coach, and I have been doing some of the work along with him through his advanced training. I wish I could say that I am sure and confident about what I am being called to do to “save that bird.” What I do know, amidst my purpose work, is that I am to be watching and waiting. It is exciting to think about being a part of something so huge as helping an entire nation heal, yet I am humbled beyond belief when I even try to grasp the thought that little ole’ me could do anything so epic. I try to not think about it too much because I find it beyond overwhelming.
 There is nothing I can do on my own, but this I do know—when we are connected to the Almighty, entire nations can turn. Remember Ninevah? Jonah did not even want to do the task he was called to do, and he tried his best to get out of it, even to the point of putting a whole shipload in danger. He didn’t think that the people of Ninevah were worth saving, and he believed they should suffer for their wrong actions. God, however, had other plans, and with just one reluctant prophet’s message, an entire nation repented, turning their hearts to Him.

I am watching and listening with wonder as to how a gal from small town Ohio could be used in such a gigantic way, but frankly, if untrusting and unforgiving Jonah could be God’s plan for an entire nation’s redemption, then I am thinking it really could be anyone.  Even me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings