Friday, March 31, 2017

I Am a Work of Kintsugi

I just learned about an art form that is the perfect metaphor for understanding how God uses our brokenness for his amazing purposes.

In Japan, there are craftsmen who repair broken pottery with a special kind of glue that is infused with 24-carat gold. This practice, called Kintsugi, is based on the thought that a piece of pottery is worthy enough to be restored. The history each piece holds is valued to such a point that the artisan is willing to make it of even greater value. What was rubbish now becomes precious.

I love knowing about this art form because I understand, first-hand how God is taking all of the pieces of my shattered being and is using them in ways beyond my imagination. Where I see ruin, He has made beauty. Where I see shards of pain and shortcomings, He has made strength and glory. Where I see raggedness, He makes loveliness.  I never fully understood this until I can see how broken pottery becomes a magnificent piece of art.

Thank you Kintsugi artisans for your amazing example of making beauty from trash.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings