Saturday, April 1, 2017

A Double Portion

During my quiet time this morning, I was reading about Elisha. Elijah, the prophet had called Elisha to join him. God tells Elijah in I Kings 19:15 that he was supposed to anoint a new king, Hazael, and almost as an “ oh, by the way,” anoint Elisha who will succeed you as prophet (vs. 16).  Elijah does what he is told, finding Elisha plowing with twelve yoke of oxen. Elijah merely throws his cloak around Elisha, causing him to immediately ask permission to say goodbye to his parents first. Elisha slaughters his oxen, burns all of the plowing equipment to cook the meat, feeds his family, and then comes to Elijah to be his assistant. The Message version says he became, “his right-hand man. (I Kings 19: 21).

Then a bunch of stuff happens, and we don’t hear Elisha’s name again for quite awhile.  I mean a lot of things happened. A King named Ben-Hadad gets his army readied and they attack Samaria. Israel’s King Ahab seems to be a bit of a wuss, telling his folks to do whatever Ben-Hadad says. Ahab had already given over his wives and children and all of his silver and gold (I Kings 20: 7). Now, Ben-Hadad is saying they are coming in to take whatever else they want. Ahab speaks with this council of elders and they tell Ahab to not give in. Lots more takes place over the course of months (it really would make for a good movie!), but now Ahab is depressed and goes home to sulk.

His wife? You might recognize her name. It’s Jezebel. Ahab was upset because he wanted a vineyard that belonged to a guy named Naboth. Ahab offered to exchange the land or to pay for it, but Naboth refused. Ahab sulked over that too. So, Jezebel devises a scheme to help Ahab by forging a decree in his name to stone Naboth. And it happens. Elijah comes along to admonish Ahab for murdering Naboth for a piece of property. Ahab repents and is spared for a while. Really, this stuff is movie material!

Then, chapter 22 of 1 Kings begins by saying three years goes by. Elisha is still not mentioned. But he is Elijah’s right-hand guy, right? So I’m thinking we should assume he is right there with Elijah. All that time.  More stuff happens, and  I would assume Elisha is by Elijah’s side throughout but scripture does not tell us. It is interesting, but not actually the point of this piece today, so I am fast-forwarding through several more kings ruling over Israel to 2Kings, Chapter 2.

This is where Elijah tells Elisha to stay put while he goes to Bethel. Elisha says, “heck no (of course I am paraphrasing), I’m not leaving you!” So they go to Bethel. Other prophets come and tell Elisha that God is going to take Elijah from him. Elisha says he knows so don’t talk about it.

Now Elijah needs to go to Jericho and he tells Elisha to stay at Bethel and wait. Elisha again says that he goes where Elijah goes. At Jericho, again some prophets tell Elisha that God is going to take Elijah away. And again, Elisha says he already knows so quit talking about it.

A third time Elijah plans to go elsewhere. This time to the river Jordan. Again, Elijah says to stay back and yet a third time Elisha says he is going with him. And here is where the coolest part is.  Elijah parts the waters so they can cross the river on dry ground. When they get to the other side, Elijah asks what going away present he could give to Elisha. Without hesitation, Elisha says, “I want double of what you have!”

I am thinking about all of the stuff Elisha has watched Elijah do over the course of who-knows-how-long (some Bible scholar who has way more knowledge than I do could tell you, I’m sure). Elisha has observed, firsthand some truly incredible things. What he wants is even more.

I agree. I want a double portion too. In fact, I want MORE than a double portion. I want to walk in an anointing so that when I enter the room, people are overwhelmingly drawn to the living spirit in me and on me so that the entire atmosphere shifts. Like the people who knew that merely being in Peter’s shadow would heal them—I want that!

Elisha got to watch his mentor, Elijah taken up in a whirlwind into heaven by way of a chariot of fire and horses of fire. I can only imagine the immense awe, along with the pain of losing his beloved master. Elijah’s cloak fell to the ground as his protégé picks it up, saying, “where now is the Lord?” I wonder if it was the same cloak that started this journey for Elisha, causing him to butcher his twelve yoke of oxen to follow the prophet? (Really, wouldn’t this make a great movie?)

Elisha got his gift. He did many miraculous things, all because he saw something amazing in his mentor and friend, wanting what Elijah had and more.


Do you want more, too? I know I sure do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings