Thursday, April 27, 2017

Checklist in my Brain

I’m not much of a list maker, but I have a little checklist in my brain that I have to run through in order to feel like my day had value.  Being retired has not been much like a vacation because I am still working part time as a substitute principal and also as adjunct faculty at our local university. I always have “stuff” to do. I also try to write every day, even if it is just this blog or some posting on Facebook.

Today, I took the afternoon off to watch a movie. When it was over, I started to feel as though I had wasted away the day. I was having trouble visualizing my checklist to see if I had ticked enough boxes.  Lord knows, I sure had closets and drawers to organize and vacuuming to do that did not get done—not to mention weeding the gardens.

Now I am beginning to realize that my measure of the “goodness” of the day has to do with how connected I have felt with my purpose and with my Creator.  I can and do often feel very connected while doing simple things like mowing the lawn, or doing laundry.

Today, I did none of those things.

I was home from my university supervision work by 10:00AM, and then I guess I wasted the rest of the day. Watching a movie. (It was a good one!)

The “doer” part of me started to fill my brain with all of the things I could have or should have done. But instead, I decided to write. It is amazing how much sense-making happens at my keyboard.

It is here, when the flow from my heart comes out in words, I feel aligned and living in my calling.

So, now that I have another entry in my blog (and another chapter of my new book in the making), I feel more satisfied that this day did indeed have some level of value.

But what if, I did nothing all day. Where would the value be then?


Did I spend time in scripture with Papa today? Check. Did I pray today? Check. Did I connect with my spouse today? Yes! Did I talk with my kids today? Two out of three! Did I fix a good dinner? Yum. So, it was a great day. And I am grateful for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings