Tuesday, October 24, 2017

A Veil Toward Forgiveness

Normally, I remember people when I have spoken with them— especially when I have seen their name in print. I’ve had a pretty good track record of at least recognizing that I have met someone before, even if I don’t exactly recall the setting.

Last night, however, I experienced something new to me.

I have spent the past four weeks engaged in a school for learning to operate in the power of the Holy Spirit. The class is facilitated by a young man with a sweet and loving heart. I have thoroughly been enjoying each week, and have been excited to get to know the others in the class as we grow together in this deeper work.

This past session, we went into the community to practice hearing God’s voice to bring light and encouragement to others. I ended up in this young leader’s car, and we had an enlightening experience together. On the way back, he said to me, “Linda, you know we have met before, right?”

I didn’t remember him, so I asked him where we met.

When he told me, I was totally astonished. 

First of all, I was surprised that I didn’t recognize him, although it had only been a few years since our meeting. Secondly, I was even more shocked that I didn’t remember him because our earlier meeting was not a good one.

He was running a bookstore, and when my first two books came out in print.  I was hoping to partner with this store to launch my new career as an author.

This young man was most unkind, and his not-at-all subtle rejection was not an easy pill to swallow.

I moved on, but the experience was one I wished to never repeat.

I wondered why I did not recognize him or his name. As soon as he told me, I of course placed the name with face, along with this quite painful memory. I was totally amazed that during this entire four weeks of our course together, I did not make this connection on my own. It was as if a veil was placed over my heart, which was quickly lifted when the timing was just right.

He told me that he was a very different person then, and I instantly felt nothing but complete forgiveness. I could tell he wasn’t sure I meant it, but I genuinely did forgive him.  We hugged, and spent some time together, just chatting.

Two lessons come to mind. First, how easy it is to forgive someone when one gets to see the other in a fully positive light. Second, how important it is to not allow the past to be a filter for the present.

I am so grateful that I was not biased by my previous encounters, and able to completely embrace this new setting without preconceived thoughts. It is so easy to put labels on others. I might have dismissed this loving leader in light of our unfortunate prior meeting. It would have been easy to be untrusting and on-guard.


Instead, I was kept in the dark—almost like a veil over my memory banks—until I had a well-established new truth about this leader. 

I wonder if I would have remained reserved, and guarded had it been otherwise.

Thankfully, for whatever reason, things happened in a much better way.  Forgiveness is so much easier without the hurt attached.




1 comment:

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings