Friday, January 5, 2018

Elijah and Elisha's Double Portion (A continued study)

Being somewhat skeptical when it comes to certain things (I’m totally gullible most of the time, however), I decided to check out if Elisha really did get a double portion of what Elijah had. So, I made a list of all of the recorded supernatural events that I could find:

I Kings 17:1 – prophesy of drought

17:2-6 – fed by ravens

17:7-16 – woman fed him and her flour and oil supply did not run out until the drought was over

17:17-22 – Raised this woman’s son from the dead

18:1-15 – Told to present himself to Ahab and the drought would end

18:18 – gave a word of knowledge to Ahab and Baal worship

18:20-38 – sacrifice match between prophets of Baal and God

18:40 – Killed all the prophets of Baal

18:41-45 – Prophesied of coming rain

19:5 – Angel came and ministered to him

19:7 – Angel came a second time

18:9-13 – still small voice heard

18:15 – told to go to Damascus and anoint Azael as King of Aram; Jehu as King of Israel; and Elisha, his successor

21:17-27 – prophesied over Ahab and Jezebel

2 Kings 1:3-10 – Prophesy over Ahaziah that he would die from his injuries

1:10-12 – prophesy over fire consuming captain of 50 men twice!

1:13 – third group of 50 men – God said to go and give word to the King that he would die, and he did.

2:7-8 – struck water with his cloak and the river divided

2:10 – Elisha asks for double portion
2:11 – Chariot of fire took him to Heaven.

While this isn’t exactly half of the supernatural events that I noted in yesterday’s blog, (Elisha 30; Elijah 20); it does make me ponder. 

I found this list (https://www.godfire.net/rayknight/60_Elijahx2.pdf)), although I do not know the author. If we were to only record the miracles at the hand of each of the prophets, this makes sense. My lists included all supernatural events, but I like this concise format of just the miracles, (so thank you to whomever captured this record!) 

ELIJAH’S 8 MIRACLES:
 I Kings 17:1 NO RAIN FOR 3 1/2 YEARS Authority with nature.
2. I Kings 17:14 MEAL AND OIL FAILED NOT Food supply to sustain life.
3. I Kings 17:22 RAISED THE DEAD - WIDOW’S SON. Healing and restoration.
4. I Kings 18:38-40 Mt. CARMEL. CLEANUP OF THE PROPHETS OF BAAL. Religion has to go!
5. I Kings 18:41 RAIN RELEASED After ‘Baal’ cleaned up.
6. II Kings 1:10 ANTI-GOD ARMY - FIRST 50 CONSUMED BY FIRE. False (in spirit) revivals!!!
7. II Kings 1:12,14 SECOND JUDGMENT OF 50.
8. II Kings 2:8 JORDAN OPENED. Veil split so that all may enter into the land of promise.

ELISHA’S 16 MIRACLES
1. II Kings 2:14 JORDAN RIVER OPENED. Veil crossed through on natural ground.
2. II Kings 2:20 HEALED THE WATERS.
3. II Kings 2:24 42 CURSING MOCKERS DESTROYED.
4. II Kings 3:17 VICTORY THRU WATER IN A TRENCH.
5. II Kings 4:5 OIL FLOWED ON TO PAY OFF DEBTS.
6. II Kings 4:16 SON GIVEN TO SHUNAMITE.
7. II Kings 4:35 DEAD SON RAISED — SNEEZED 7 TIMES.
8. II Kings 4:41 POISONED POT PURIFIED.
9. II Kings 4:43 FOOD MULTIPLIED.
10. II Kings 5:14 NAAMAN HEALED OF LEPROSY.
11. II Kings 5:27 LEPROUS JUDGMENT ON GEHAZI
12. II Kings 6:6 THE AXE-HEAD (IRON) SWAM.
13. II Kings 6:17 SERVANT’S EYES OPENED TO SEE IN THE SPIRIT.
14. II Kings 6:18 ARMY DEFEATED BY BLINDNESS.
15. II Kings 6:20 ARMY’S BLINDNESS REMOVED.
16. II Kings 13:21 DEAD MAN RAISED VIA ELISHA’S BONES. Resurrection-life; victory over death.

Elisha asked for a double portion of the Holy Spirit. Elijah basically told him that it wasn’t his to give ( 2 Kings 2:10), but God granted that desire of Elisha’s heart. 

I want even more. I want to know that when I walk in a room, that the anointing of the Holy Spirit is so obvious that like Peter (Acts 5:15), even my shadow will bring the power of God into that place.


More, Lord, more! For Your glory and never my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings