Monday, January 8, 2018

Err on the Side of a Hug and a Prayer

People are funny.

It has taken me an entire lifetime, and I have yet to be able to find the right words, the right actions, the right presence for those closest to me.

Last night, I was in a newly forming women’s small group. We have met together before, but we are just starting a new book study. Four of them attend church together, so I am the outsider, although, I knew each of the other ladies.

One woman asked for prayer for her family. She mentioned two of her four children, saying that they were “a mess.” I assumed that the other three ladies who attend church with her knew what was going on, and while waiting to hear more, I silently prayed for this hurting sister.

This morning, she posted on social media about how hurtful it was to “pour your heart out” in a group and to be met with silence. Her last line was, “why should I go back?”

I am in a strange state while pondering these events.

I know I was asking Papa what I could do to help her, and I sensed that she had a battle that belonged to Him. I didn’t hear any words of knowledge, nor did I sense a nudge to do more than pray.

Yet, this morning, I am feeling bad because what she wanted was a hug. I was sitting next to her, and didn’t move a muscle.

Now I am wondering about the “should haves.” 

I should have hugged her.

I should have offered to pray right then.

I should have told her that I cared.

My silence was interpreted to her as aloof and lacking compassion.

I sent her a private message and apologized.

I’m not sure she’s ready for that.

So, the lesson today is – err on the side of a hug and an out loud, fervent prayer.

We don’t know the struggles that others have, but it is always the right thing to do to actually say, “I love you, and I care about you.”  We can’t assume that the recipient gets it because we silently pray.

I will continue to pray that Papa heals her wounded heart.

Until then, I will err on the side of a hug and a prayer.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings