Monday, May 14, 2018

Gardening


I don’t enjoy gardening.

I really wish, however, that I did. So, my goal for this spring is to learn to love the work.

I don’t mind getting dirty, but I do mind the scratches from pruning the shrubs. Most of all it is the lower back pain from bending and stretching so much. Perhaps after a few more days, my muscles will get used to this ouch-y work.

One of the reasons I don’t like gardening is because of mother-wounding from many years ago. My mom loved to garden. It was her major source of stress relief and I think she wanted me to learn to love it as well. However, in her attempts to get me to do the work, she would tell me that I couldn’t go play at a neighbor’s until I pulled up x number of dandelions, or planted so many flowers first. Instead of loving the mother-daughter bonding time, I came to see it as a source of punishment. I did my best to avoid it as much as possible.

The bottom line is, I love the way it looks when it’s done.

With that goal in mind, I will persevere. At least until all of the 35 bags of mulch are laid.

Today’s garden lesson had to do with roots.

There is some kind of invading plant that has a very wide root system causing little shoots of this unwanted plant to erupt everywhere. I have no ideas what the plant is, but the roots are very strong.  I have learned how to defeat them, however.

If I can cut a small portion of the root, then the next area comes up so much easier, ripping up even feet of root that once held strong. I see how this relates to our own wholeness as well.

When a root of something like jealousy or pride begins it isn’t well established. As this root is allowed to grow through continued experiences, the strength of the root becomes deeper and harder to remove.

Faith, however, is a disrupter of those negative attributes. Once we stand on the truth, the root of negativity begins to weaken. As we continue to abide in the true vine, the corrupted roots lose their grip. Whole systems can be broken quickly when the power of the Holy Spirit cuts the stronghold. Without the sword of the spirit, however, those roots will hold tightly.

Lesson learned? Don’t allow the root system to take hold. Stay connected to the Holy Spirit, and nothing can choke us away from the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings