Tuesday, May 22, 2018

I Still Have My Joy


I was scheduled to provide twelve twenty-minute presentations to a neighboring district’s fourth and fifth graders. I knew that I would not be monetarily compensated for my day, but I was ready to pour into those students, and grateful to be asked to be a part of this leadership event at their school.

I arrived early enough to make sure I had plenty of time to get situated. I walked around to the passenger side of my car and realized that I had a few things that needed to go into my trunk. Leaving my purse and presentation materials there with the door still open, I put my laptop and moneybox (in case anyone wanted to buy any books), into the trunk. Just as I shut the trunk door, a wind came and slammed the door shut, locking everything inside.

My cell phone.

My presentation on my thumb drive.

My AAA membership card.

Not even for a second did I worry, though.

In our Sunday School class the day before, we have started a new book study on Philippians called, Be Joyful, by Warren Wiersbe. We had just talked about the things that rob us of our joy, and evidently the conversation stuck, because the entire time, I was determined to not let anything keep me from my joy.

Not even the fact that the AAA guy wasn’t going to come for maybe two hours.

The principal called an officer friend to come and help. He got there quickly, but when he sized up the situation, he warned me that he would likely scratch my leased 2018 Camry. The AAA lady told me on the phone that my membership provides up to $50.00 to pay for any damages incurred. While the officer came before we started, I opted to wait for AAA and have to figure out how to be in two places at once.

He arrived a minute before my first presentation ended (thankfully, I had previously emailed my powerpoint to the person in charge, so she sent it to the computer in the classroom where I was presenting). It only took him a few minutes and there were no scratches at all.

I completed my morning six groups, and then it hit me.

Was this a test? Was it a purposeful attack from the enemy?

I even told the other presenters (none of whom I had ever met before) that I wasn’t going to allow anything to steal my joy. 

When that didn’t work, I started getting a horrible sore throat by the second session in the afternoon.

Knowing now I am dealing with a spiritual attack, I have to ask what is so important about what I’m doing that the enemy wants to thwart me.

Thanking Jesus for allowing me to live out my purpose.

Even when the wind slams my car door, locking (momentarily, of course) my life inside, joy is not lost.

Even when my throat is raw, I will still speak words of healing and truth.

I will still find my joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings