Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Today is My Birthday

Today is my 62nd birthday. When I was a child, 60 sounded so old. We would pretend to be as old as 60 by walking hunched over with a cane, and using a feeble, shaky voice. So here I am, still feeling like I am 30 inside, and wondering why we thought this age was what is now about 90.

In my brain, I still feel like I could do ten cartwheels in a row, or somersault down a hill over and over again. Of course, experience has taught me that those types of activities make me instantly dizzy now, but I truly feel like I could do it if I had to.

My children took me out for dinner early because tonight I teach at our local University. As I am preparing for my teaching, I keep thinking about how blessed my life has been. I am so very grateful for the bumpy road I have traveled, because I know that it was by tripping over the rocks along the way, I have learned valuable lessons that could not have been learned any other way. I wouldn’t change a thing, even though it seems like it took a ridiculous amount of time to finally get it. I mean, six decades plus two more years is certainly not what one would call the fast-paced course!

As I sit in gratitude, so blessed to be able to teach and to spend time with my children and grandchildren, I am reminded how fragile life is.

Hurricane Irma is heading closer to shore, and I pray for those who will be in its path. I am concerned for their safety, and I pray they will hear God’s voice to move where they need to be.


Also, I am continuing in prayer for the victims of Hurricane Harvey as they are still looking at many months of cleanup ahead of them. May they feel the love and support of others as they rebuild their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings