Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Called Beyond the Circumstances

For better or for worse; in sickness and in health…
Yeah, I agreed to those words twenty-seven months ago.
Today, however, it is quite difficult to even remember why, and this is exactly how I know my marriage is under attack.
I could go on and on about all of the things wrong with my spouse. I could easily regale you with tales that would have you fully comforting me with your utmost sympathy and absolute pity.
That, however, is not what is needed.
Instead, I must be reminded that we are at war.
The enemy would like nothing better than for me to wallow in despair over getting myself stuck once more with a husband who is not able to support me in the way I desire.
Of course, I knew this before I said yes to those vows. I knew that marrying a man who is blind and has lived alone for over half a century would have many hard-to-live-with quirks. I also knew, through past experience that wives cannot change their husbands. Knowing all of this, I walked through and said “yes” anyway.
The best ammunition for me is to take stock of why I made that decision. There were plenty of yes-reasons, and I refuse to allow this battle to erase them from my memory banks.
So, for today, I will recount my list of why the yeses outweighed the nos.
Today, I will remind myself of God’s calling on my husband’s life.
Today, I will remember that we wrestle not against flesh and blood.
Today, I will ensure I never forget who the real enemy is.
As I type these words, I am already feeling a calm and a peace that can only come from the Prince of Peace. This is how I know that the battle is not mine. It may feel that way if I get caught up in the circumstances.
We are called to look beyond them. Today, I will give my spouse to Jesus, and let Him do the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings