Monday, May 8, 2017

Adequate in Many Ways But Expert in None

We all have gifts and talents of some sort. Some have gifts that are rather obvious. Others? Well, if we look, we can eventually find something to recognize as a genuine strength. I have written before about wishing that some of my talents were more polished.

For instance, I love to sing. I always have. At one time, I really thought I could make a living with my voice. But then, life got in the way, and what was once such a passion became more like a hobby.

I sing each week in our worship team at church, but my voice does not bring me accolades as a star, nor does it bring an increase to my finances. I sing because it is a blessing. No CD’s bear my name. No one clamors to hear me. No concert tours. No YouTube videos. Just a Sunday morning service each week. And it is really okay.

I have other gifts. I write. I pray. I teach. I lead. I do each of these things actually pretty well—considerably better than the average bear. Yet, none of these are so extraordinary that others seek my gifts and expertise.

Periodically, I often stop and wonder if I should have chosen one of my gifts to refine to a higher level. If I focused all of my time and energy into just one arena, I could truly make it something special. I know that would be true.

When, however, I think of the cost to pour all of my resources into only one bucket, I get jittery inside. It is like choosing to nurse only one kitten of the entire litter. How could I not nourish and tend equally to each one?  Which would I choose? How could I ever decide?

I know I have been blessed with multiple giftings for a purpose. I just don’t know what that is, really.

The question is—which is better? One amazing gift that is so extraordinary that others seek my expertise; or above average in multiple ways?   Based on my gut reaction when I try to choose one gifting, I am guessing there really isn’t a choice here. For some reason, I have been called to be good at several things, but great in none. I am trying to fully embrace this understanding, but it sure isn’t easy. Somehow it feels like settling for less.

I asked Papa about this some time ago, and He asked me, “What would you give up?” I still am pondering this question, and the answer is still quite obvious to me. I don’t want to give up any one of them.

So, that means, I must find peace in being adequate instead of awesome in each of my giftings. When I am able to reframe this for myself, I realize that adequate in multiple ways is not to be taken lightly. I need to stop comparing myself to those who have a more narrow focus. It is a choice I have made and it really is okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings