Thursday, May 25, 2017

Hummingbirds and Joy

Today, while on my morning walk, I was waiting for some “aha” moment that would give me the inspiration needed for writing my blog. Not much of late had been shaking my world enough to actually write about, so I implored of the Lord to lay something on me.  Something really good! Of course I have no idea if anyone actually reads my blog, but I wanted to be able to have something that felt worthy of a readership.

Nothing.

I waited a bit longer and asked again.

Still nothing.

Just when I thought that at least for today, I would not be adding to my second edition of He Reaches My Heart and Teaches Me, I saw the sweetest hummingbird.

I was reminded of how the hummingbird defies aerodynamics and flies more like an insect than a bird. Somehow their ability to hover is so much more fascinating than watching a robin or cardinal in flight. There are many articles on the internet to explain how the hummingbird stays in one spot, but what I found more interesting about this tiny creature was how quickly it disappeared.  One second, I am watching in awe as this miniature being seemed to effortlessly hover over a flowering plant. Just as it registers in my brain that this was a hummingbird, it was gone. I mean, really gone!  I could not, for the life of me, determine where it went. And I was sad.

Here, for a fleeting moment of joy, and then gone.

Immediately, I felt the Holy Spirit teaching me yet another powerful lesson from nature.

We seek those times of joy as though they are the goal, and yet, almost always before we are ready, they so very quickly disappear. When joy becomes the sole reason for our purpose, we are going to be sorely disappointed. Joy does not last. It is a beautiful thing--just like that darling hummingbird. But before I could blink, it was gone.

I can be sad that it vanished, or be thrilled that it came.

Joy is not, and cannot be, the goal. Joy is a gift of the journey. Our goal is to live out our purpose.

Each of us has a purpose. Most likely, we have had several that have been reshaped along with the seasons of life. But we each have to walk our own path, seeking the purpose of our divine design. We find joy along the way. It's a byproduct of the walk.

Today, I was reminded by this beautiful hummingbird that moments of pure joy do not last, but when they come, we can use them as a source of gratitude to grasp onto during the more mundane stretches of our journey.  I am thankful for the hummingbirds that come along the way. They are gentle reminders of hope and enable us to focus on finishing the course.

Do not be distracted by the hummingbirds along the way. Revel in their sweet refreshing, like ice-cold water after a long hike in the hot sun. Rejoice that we have  hummingbirds to remind us of the goodness of the real journey.

Much peace to you, fellow travelers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings