Monday, May 29, 2017

Stupid Act or Lesson Learned?

Yesterday, I did probably the dumbest thing I have ever done in my life. I don’t know where my brain was, but it certainly was not functioning.  Maybe it was in my haste to get ready to head to church with all of the extra things I was taking for a special celebration during and after the service. Or it might have been because of my incredible level of distraction due to taking Jon’s service dog back again for the first time since his “retraining” at Pilot Dogs. Whatever the reason, I simply was not thinking.

I had the hatch of my leased Prius raised with all of the extra things we were taking that morning, and I had one more thing to add. I decided to back out of the garage, making it easier for Jon to load his dog.  And, you guessed it, with the hatch still raised, it smashed into the garage door, ripping off the spoiler on the edge of the hatchback.

The damage was complete. It broke every contact that holds the spoiler in place, so I drove on to church with it dangling by the back light wires.

All the way to church, I was beating myself up for my utter stupidity. I think I called myself every derogatory word I could think of at the time. I was totally astonished at how utterly moronic this episode was, and all I could think of was how much money this was going to cost me to get it fixed.

Then, I remembered.

What was the lesson?

If there wasn’t a lesson, then I know I would have been nudged by the Holy Spirit to realize my hatch was up. I have had those warnings many times before, and I have come to expect that extra support from my Comforter. It didn’t happen this time.
Now, maybe I was so distracted, I just didn’t hear it. Or, maybe there is a deeper lesson.

When I, ashamedly described my ditzy act during Sunday School, one of the ladies reminded me that maybe I am supposed to provide this opportunity for someone else to reach out and help me.

It was no surprise that this woman’s husband jumped to my rescue to help remove the light so that the broken spoiler could actually come off.

It’s a holiday weekend, and I have to wait another day to find out how much damage this unthinking act is going to do to my bank account. Regardless, as soon as I switched my thoughts from my shortcomings to His purposes, I felt much better inside.


Life is full of ups and downs, but our attitude is truly what makes the difference in how we handle them.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Linda, our attitude does make the difference. I am learning to look at the MANY often brainless blunders I've made as ways to remember where I was in my life at the time of the blunder. Like the time I backed my car into a very short and sturdy mimosa tree while I lived in Florida, before going to the airport to pick up
    Ashley! Now I look at that dent on my fender and recall the joy of seeing Ashley and our fun time together! Or the homemade horchata drink Liz made for my second grade students at South that spilled all over the carpet of my new car!!! But those blunders are attached to some memorable times and so I don't really regret them. We could all remember times of blunder and be thankful we are blessed with another day to thank God for the opportunities to feel. Does this make sense?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings