Thursday, July 20, 2017

Couldn't Ask For More

For some reason, the decision-makers in public education have decided that every child needs to be prepared for college or a career. In theory, this sounds really good. However, the reality is that some people have no desire for college or a professional career. And frankly, I’m glad.

While out for my morning walk today, I was watching the guy driving the refuse truck around my neighborhood. There were so many gadgets and buttons and bells and whistles on that truck that I wondered how anyone could properly learn to operate it. There were also two steering wheels so that the guy could drive right by the curb and not have to waste time walking around the massive machine. I paused, in awe of his skills.

I know those kids in school who would love to drive a giant truck every day. They are the ones fiddling with erasers and small objects while the teacher is yammering away. The ones who don’t understand why it matters what the author’s intent was or why they actually have to write entire paragraphs about it. Give them a project to do with their hands— they are engaged, enthralled, and saying, “more of this, please!” Ask them to put their thoughts on paper, and it is as though we told them to write it in flawless Chinese.

Years ago, we used to have apprentice opportunities for kids who did not want to choose a more academic path. I don’t know why we decided this way is better, although I hear, thankfully, that the pendulum is starting to swing back.

The skills that garbage pick-up guy had were amazing to me because I have none of them. I want him to know how to do his job and do it well. I want him to know how grateful I am to him for learning how to operate huge machinery and handle the aspects of his work. There is much planning involved – where to stop to be the most efficient; which garbage is in the correct can for the mechanical arm to lift; which cans need to be physically handled; how to deal with the geography and the weather.  It really is a huge skill set.

Yet, if I asked this guy about his experiences in school, I would wager he would have many negative memories to share. I imagine he still harbors feelings of failure and unworthiness.  It breaks my heart to even think about it. The reality is, he wasn’t the failure. They system failed him.

Why are we not celebrating the uniqueness of every person?  I am so thankful that my trash guy chose his occupation. Each week when I bring my trash cans back into the garage, I am beyond appreciative that someone took the time and effort to get rid of all of that yuck for me.  Watching him drive that massive truck with all of those knobs and levers made me feel inadequate and very small.  I bet, however, he wouldn’t believe it if I told him.

We have a long ways to go before we figure out how to make the trash guys and the nurses’ aides and the road workers and all of those other very skilled people how valuable they are.


Today, I celebrate those that have the skill sets that I am lacking, yet make my life so much better. From the bottom of my heart, thank you!  I really don’t care if you can put a sentence on paper or not. I do care that you have found a trade that fits for you and you do it well to make a difference in the lives of others. We couldn’t ask for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings