Monday, December 19, 2016

Enough Adulting for the Day

Some friends are posting pictures on Facebook of a beautiful beach vacation.  While I am shoveling the snow from my driveway, they are bathing suit-clad, with drink in hand; on pristine white sands with azure, calm waters in the background. I am trying to be happy for them in their leisure time. Instead, I am fighting the green-eyed monster of jealousy.

I have worked hard all of my life. I have spent countless hours trying to make a living by helping others to make a better life for themselves, yet somehow, the bank account never seems full enough to plan for a vacation. I haven’t really had a vacation for several years. I would like to be on a beach too. The ocean is my favorite place to be and it has been too long since I have been able to enjoy my time there.

To make matters worse, I know that my friends have had tough economic times too. They have made it through them and now are enjoying the fruits of their labor. They deserve to do just that.  But don’t I too?

It is hard to rejoice for others when they get what is out of reach for ourselves. I know that I need to look to God for my rest, and not a beachfront hotel room. But sometimes it would just be nice to be the one with the beautiful photos on Facebook.

I guess I need to start a vacation savings account. Then, even when the bills are screaming for more than I have to accommodate, I will have another pot to pull from. 

That is enough adulting for today.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback! Blessings